At 12:51 PM 6/16/99 -0500, Patrick James Fitzpatrick wrote [in part]:

>Ray,
>
>We had a friend check our machine out, and he discovered that the problem
>was the sendmail daemon was not running. Kind of surprises me you could
>still even send mail, which is why we though sendmail was running.
>Obviously, even though we're quite "UNIX-literate," we're not sufficiently
>"system administrator-literate/LINUX-literate" yet.

This is why I asked you to check whether you got a response to a telnet on
port 25 - if the daemon isn't running, you won't get one, but if it is, you
will.

As to outgoing mail ... a mailer like pine invokes a **non-daemon** instance
of sendmail (or other MTA) to send a message, or to attempt to. The daemon
is needed only for 2 things:

        1. Receiving mail (as you found out).
        2. processing the mail queue.

You might want to check this second use by running "mailq". If a message
can't be sent immediately, for any of many reasons, it is put into a queue
for later sending. If you didn't have a sendmail daemon running, you didn't
have any way to process the queue, so it's possible that some mail remains
unsent. When you run the daemon, but sure to run it in a way that will
process the queue periodically (e.g., as "sendmail -bd -q15m" for processing
every 15 minutes).

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]