Indiana Zephyr wrote:

> I'm trying to find a way to install Linux onto my 486 laptop.  I don't
> have a cd-rom, don't have a network card, and don't have a modem.  I
> also don't have any sort of external zip drive or anything like that.
> If anyone has any ideas, please go ahead and post them.
>
> --
>
> =Indiana Zephyr
> ICQ: 37206282
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Zephyr!

IŽm tempted to say the answer is blowing in the wind, but no, if I
remember correctly, a basic Debian system can be installed from floppies
(you DO have a floppy drive in that laptop, donŽt you?). YouŽd have to
write the appropriate files to disks on another computer from the CDROM
set, if need be with rawrite under MS-DOS. Mind you, I havenŽt done it,
but on my Debian CD ~/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/install.txt
says it can be done. Then, when youŽve got that frugal system running,
youŽd need a modem to complete installation.
--
   __o   See you, Christoph Hammann
 _ \>,   [EMAIL PROTECTED]