Well, you don't have much to work with. Basic options are:

1. Slackware still provides the ability to load its "A" series apps from
floppies. This is a very limited assortment of apps, but it will give you a
look at Linux.

2. Similarly, there are some small Linux distributions, like trinux,
dragonlinux, and monket Linux, that install entirely from floppies.

3. Older versions of Slackware can be installed *entirely* from floppies. If
I recall correctly, Slackware 96 was the last version that could be
installed this way. (Normally, I discourage people from installing old
versions. But that's basically for security reasons, and a system as
isolated as yours won't be subject to break-ins ove rthe Internet.)

4. I think there is a way to use a parallel port to install Linux from
another host. SOmeone else will have to provide the details on this, though.

If you have ANY access to the Internet, some of this stuff can be found at
the metalab ftp site (ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/distributions). Old
Slackwares can still be found, I think, at www.cdrom.com . dragonlinux has
its own site (http://www.dragonlinux.nu/).

At 02:23 PM 6/19/99 -0500, Indiana Zephyr wrote:
>I'm trying to find a way to install Linux onto my 486 laptop.  I don't
>have a cd-rom, don't have a network card, and don't have a modem.  I
>also don't have any sort of external zip drive or anything like that.
>If anyone has any ideas, please go ahead and post them.

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]