Sorry if I created some confusion here, Richard. I did see Mr. Hanover's
prior message and your reply to it. I didn't amplify your reply because
basically you have it right -- the original poster needs either to do a
complete reinstall or fix the one he has already begun. From the earlier
posting, I'd guess that a full reinstall is, as you suggest, the better
option ... but that's not for me to decide.

The later message basically said that he tried to do some things and failed,
but didn't describe in any detail either what he tried or how it failed. In
such circumstances, only general advice is possible (or a back-of-the-hand
dismissal of the "read the manual" sort, something I prefer not to do), so I
gave general advice.

I'd be happy to reply to more specific questions (if they are about
something I know, at least), but they need to be asked so I can figure out
what the poster doesn't know. The earlier message you replied to doesn't
indicate anything about his apparent problems with HOSTNAME, adduser, or
passwd, and doesn't offer any real clues about *why* he's having problems
with mke2fs (or even that he *is* having problems with it, really - the
install program seems to be finding a filesystem to install to - surely gcc
isn't the first thing that RH tries to install).

A few suggestions for the original poster:

1. Use fdisk to find out what the partitions are. Which ones are Linux
native, which swap, which some other OS such as Win9x? How big does fdisk
say they are?

2. Consider interchanging the HD and CDROM connectors, so the HD is on the
IDE primary, the CD on the secondary. You never got to installing LILO, but
this setup may cause you problems doing so. (I'm not sure about this,
though, as you seem to be running 3 IDE channels, not two, and I'm nort
familiar with the specifics of your hardware.)

3. Let us know a bit more about your system. In particular, how much RAM
does it have? Unless it's quite low, swap problems shouldn't be disrupting
an installation. Also, what *exactly* does the message about swap size say?

4. Looking back at your earlier message ... the actual problem you are
hitting may be simpler than anything Richard or I have previously indicated.
>From the message:

>> 3.    ...:No space left on device

I infer that you are trying to install more stuff than will fit in your
Linux partition. This is *very* odd if the partition is really 1.4 gigs.
Might you have specified your (47 megs) swap partition as the root partition
somehow? You need to tell the installer to format the 1.4 gig partition as
ext2, then install to it as root. Since I don't do Red Hat installs, I can't
give you more detail on the sequence than this, but perhaps someone else can.

At 02:59 PM 6/21/99 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote [in part]:
>According to Ray Olszewski: While burning my CPU.
>>
>> Your latest message doesn't really ask any questions, but perhaps I can help
>> a bit by discussing some of the things you say you find yourself unable
to do.

>I dont know what happend, but to clear things up here is the mail which i
>think i never received a copy of from the list server.
>Somethink must have gotten lost as i Cc: to the list as per address below.
>
>Orig, message..
[rest deleted]

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]