Marc -- I hope you don't mind my copying linux-newbie in my reply; this
information is more useful if shared on the list than if sent to me
personally, since it wasn't I who had the original question.

The HowTo you have in mind (I assume) is the Hard Disk Upgrade mini-HowTo,
available at URL
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html (and possibly
on an installed Linux system or a distribution CD - look in /usr/doc to
see). It covers all the potential problems I mentioned in my prior message,
plus the need to recreate the /proc pseudo-filesystem properly.

Thanks for the hint; I didn't know this mini existed, and it looks very useful.

At 11:08 AM 7/4/99 +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:
>Ray Olszewski wrote:
>>
>> There are probably other details I've forgotten.
>>
>That's what's HOWTOs are for :-0
>Check the *upgrading*HOWTO (regexp, no \emph).

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]