On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Casey Bralla wrote:

> Ok, but I'm still confused.  How is the load averages calculated?  Is
> it (processor time per task)/ (total processor time)?

If I understand it right myself, it is the average number of processes
that are waiting for the processor.  A load average of 0 means any time
a process is ready to run, there is a processor free to run it.  A load
average of 1 means on average, it is going to have to wait for one other
process to give up an interrupt, or block waiting for sometheng.  A load
average of .1 means 9 times out of 10 ther will be a processor free, and
it can get right to work, but once in awhile it has to wait.

OOn some mainframes it was called dispatcher queue depth, and it often
ran 3-10 on good days.

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.