On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Jaana Jarve wrote:

> > Hey all!
> >

> > Is it possible to install Linux (without X Windows) on a 386 with 4 MB ram?
> >  Realizing that this is a 386, what type of performance can I expect? (i.e.
> > how frustrated will I be?)
>
> it is possible, but very slow. i don't know how patient you are,
> so i can't tell how frustrated you would be, but i wouldn't try.
>
> netcat

it is possible -- if you are going to do such a thing, i would recommend
that you use a slightly older version of linux -- not something like the
red hat 6.0 distribution.  ;0  i would say debian 1.x or suse 5.x, or red
hat 5.x (where x <=1) would fit the bill as suitable.

only thing is that you make sure that you don't install X if you don't
want it.  red hat is okay, but i would go debian on such an older box,
mostly because you have more control over it, and because of the fact that
none of its configuration tools require that you have X :).

Anyway -- don't ever compile a kerenel on such an older machine -- you
will find yourself waiting for *hours*-- find someone that will compile
the kernel for you.  i am wiling to compile 2.2.x kernels (and some
2.3.x), but only the ones that i already have downloaded -- just send me a
hardware list and i can compile it for ya ;).  Anyway, have fun!

   "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that
   curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly."
                                                - Arnold Edinborough