I have installed Slackware 3.4 on my mighty Packard-Hell 386 laptop.
You can't use the ramdisk, and you have to gunzip the install root
(probably better use the text install), but if you enjoy a challenge, go
for it.  How much horsepower does it take to process text?  Well, I
wouldn't try to compile Wine on it, but if you have the disk space for
the compiler, libs, headers, and binutils, it'll compile "Hello, World!"
no worry.  You will need a swap partition even for that, probably.

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Marcus Walton wrote:

> Hey all!
>

> Is it possible to install Linux (without X Windows) on a 386 with 4 MB
ram?
>  Realizing that this is a 386, what type of performance can I expect?
(i.e.