Sorry... new info to add to my problem.

If I run minicom, let it initialize the port/modem(??) and then exit
w/o resetting the port/modem, the PPP connection works perfect.

In minicom, I set the port parameters as follows: 38400 N81
(/dev/modem by setserial to port 0x2f8 irq 3 uart 16550a
baud_base 115200 spd_normal).

Note that I tried:
1. setserial /dev/modem baud_base 38400 spd_normal
2. setserial /dev/modem baud_base 115200 spd_vhi
3. pppd including _any_ baudrate would definitely make it _not_ work
no
matter w/ 1 or 2
4. minicom doesn't work if setserial /dev/modem to any baud_base other
than 115200 and/or spd_vhi is specified

Any hints?

-K. Leung-
(Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP keys and others)
... have like -- a moment, where being myself,
    and my life right where I am is, like,
    enough.