At 12:43 07-25-99 -0400, you wrote:
>19,200 to be specific. ;-)
>
> I cannot quote where I've seen it, but I've seen it many times,
>the computers serial speed should be, at least, double the interface
>speed.

I know that. I've been using DOS Telix/Telemate for years for BBS when the
internet thing is still not popular in the territory. I used to be able to
fix my serial port speed(DTE??) to 38400 using X00 and then set my modem up
w/ AT cmds (like enabling v42bis/mnp5, hardware flow control, etc). I got
all those _working_ AT initialization stored in my modem nvram so I just
use ATZ to initialize the modem at any time, space, circumstances.

That got me really puzzled when ppp works fine (normal troughput like >2k
for text file, 1.6k normal data) if the modem is pre-initialized by
minicom, but not so (binary/ascii data both transfers w/ the same slow 0.7
or 0.8k) when it is not. Someone else suggested I check the init string in
minicom. Yet I use the same simple ATZ in both minicom and ppp chatscript.

-K. Leung-
(Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP keys and others)
... have, like, a moment when just being myself
    and my life... right where I am... is, like,
    enough.