I suppose it depends on eaxctly what "the GUI no longer works" means.

Depending on the specifics of your distribution, version, and installation,
you *may* have some ordinary VTs hidden behind the X display. Try pressing
CTRL-ALT-F1 (and try it through F6) and see if any of them turn up a
text-based terminal that you can log into. If this works, you can log in,
kill X, and proceed however you think best after that.

To see if you have this option, take a look at /etc/inittab . Look for the
line that sets the default runlevel (set on the line that reads
"id:#:initdefault:", where # is a number). Then see what "respawn" lines
include that runlevel in their lists of numbers (look at the file and you
should be able to see what I mean).

Alternately, if you are on a LAN with other hosts, you may be able to telnet
or ssh in.

If X actually crashed your system, you have no choice but to reboot.

At 07:18 PM 8/1/99 -0500, Richard Salts wrote:
>When the GUI no longer works, and I don't why this suddenly happened, how
>does one log off of Linux short of just turning off the computer?

Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]