Just a note to all you helpful folks - I succeeded in getting KDE
running a few days ago :-)

Still not sure though why my files are named "Xclients" and "xinitrc"
rather than ".Xclients" and ".xinitrc" i.e., no periods in the names.
Peculiarity of the specific distro I got?

I'm still having no luck configuring my networking with DHCP. So far,
the suggestions I've gotten all involve downloading something, which I
can't do until I get networking configured... Unless the software is
included on the CDs that came with my distro (RedHat 5.2), I can't get
any new software onto my Linux box. I can download to a different
computer, but unless I can get my Mac to recognize ext2-formatted
floppies I've got no way to transfer the files to my Linux box. (Just
out of curiosity, why does the floppy-formatting utility in KDE allow
me to format DOS disks when Linux apparently won't read them afterward?
My Mac _can_ read/write DOS disks, so I thought that might be a way to
transfer files between machines. But when I try to mount a DOS disk
using "mount /mnt/floppy" it tells me something about an unknown
filesystem.

Of course I realize that once I get networking functioning I'll be
okay... :-)
===
Rik Osborne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]