On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Rik Osborne wrote:

> Just a note to all you helpful folks - I succeeded in getting KDE
> running a few days ago :-)
>
> Still not sure though why my files are named "Xclients" and "xinitrc"
> rather than ".Xclients" and ".xinitrc" i.e., no periods in the names.
> Peculiarity of the specific distro I got?

first xinit looks for $HOME/.xinitrc, then it looks for
<xroot>/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.

> I'm still having no luck configuring my networking with DHCP. So far,
> the suggestions I've gotten all involve downloading something, which I
> can't do until I get networking configured... Unless the software is
> included on the CDs that came with my distro (RedHat 5.2), I can't get
> any new software onto my Linux box. I can download to a different
> computer, but unless I can get my Mac to recognize ext2-formatted
> floppies I've got no way to transfer the files to my Linux box. (Just
> out of curiosity, why does the floppy-formatting utility in KDE allow
> me to format DOS disks when Linux apparently won't read them afterward?

It can.  It is possible to custom build a kernel without msdos and vfat
filesystems, but I don't see why anyone would.  It _might_ need a module
loaded or so  .. vfat can be a module.  Probably, you haven't got
/etc/fstab right to do it.  Try, as root:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

I had to read man mount and man fstab recursively to get comfortable
with it.

Also, there is a hfsutils package I found somewhere on metalab.unc.edu
to deal with mac floppies.