Since upgrading my GNOME to 21 July level, Netscape can no longer be
loaded by root or user.

If root tries, it is just an empty hung frame. If user tries, the Netscape
window appears normal, but if I give the window the focus, it searches for
the default local file to display and hangs. That is, the window widgets
are visible but inoperable; no document is displayed; status line says
"reading file..." Window can't be closed, and all I can do is to kill the
thread.

If I leave the terminal open, in a minute or two there pour out a dozen or
two messages such as the following:

netscape communicator:
X Error of failed request: Bad Window - invalid window parameter
Major opcode of failed request: 62 (X_CopyArea)
resource id in failed request 0x3c00490
current serial number of output stream 8337
widget hierarchy of resource: statusbar.dashboard.form.Navigator...

Most are invalid Pixmap or Window parameter rather than "Bad Window"
Each message has a different window hierarchy, but I suspect "frame"
is the hightest failing component.

After a minute or two more, I get warning message: No response to save
yourself command. This repeats until I say, "remove program." I suspect
this is a new GNOME feature, perhaps to end a hung program, but if so,
I had already killed the Netscape thread. Perhaps it is because I had
not terminated the terminal from which I had run netscape. Anyone know
what this alert means?

More importantly, any idea of why Netscape won't load its window? I re-
installed Netscape without any effect.

Haines Brown