Richard Salts wrote:

> Someone said to me that, in his opinion, Linux was not yet ready for home
> consumer use.  It is intended, he believes, more for corporate use and for
> those who have extensive computer experience than for home use because of
> the steep learning curve that peoople like myself are encountering when
> trying to use it.
>
> What does the membership of this list think of this viewpoint?  Are there
> any list members besides myself who are endeavoring to use this op system
> at home?
>
> I am interested in what the list subscribers think of this statement.  Do
> you think Linux, like Red Hat 6.0 is more of a system to be more used at
> the office or can consumers get in on using Linux, too?
>
> Richard

It depends on the home user.  If all they need to do is use it to check
email
and veiw web page, then it can be ready for home users, if they get a
preinstalled
machine with everything setup for them.

If they have to go from ftp -> floppy -> install -> configure -> use,
most
home user will turn away, but if they go from order -> plugin -> use,
then
it would allow the home user to use the system without taking the time
learn about it, or put any effort what so every into it.

Say for an example a home user buys a Compaq with win98, they basically
plug
it in, put the red keyboard plug into the hole on the back that has a
red
rim around it, turn it on, put there isp cd in, click install, reboot,
click the little 'e' and they are "surfing the web" and can tell all
their buddies they are part of the Information Superhighway.

Now if a user can do basically the same thing with Linux, then yes
it is ready.  I heard they are companies doing this, like Penguin
Computers, and VA Research, but haven't try any of their complete
systems.

As far as checking email, view web pages, word processing, the GUI
envoriment shouldn't have to much of a learning curve, if any.

For example, you could take your run of the mill, windows user,
set him in front of KDE, GNOME, ICEWM/DFM, with Star Office, and
Netscape and he should be able to get the things he wants done.

But if you give him an ftp site and tell him to RTFM, I don't
think this user would have a very good chance of getting
what he wants done, done.  He doesn't want to take the time
to learn unix, and he doesn't want to put any effort into it.
He wants it all done for him, and that is the only thing he
cares about.

I used to work tech support for an ISP, and from experience,
%99 of the users that call up there, don't care about tcp/ip
or modems or software.  They don't care how it works or why,
or how to make it better, they want to click the send button
and have their email get to where ever it is going.

They want to double click on the little "e" and veiw web pages
They don't care what the little "e" is, they don't care if
the little "e" is closed or open source, they don't care if
it takes away their freedom, because they are to lazy or don't
care.

They don't care, the only thing the typical home user cares
about, is when they click the little "e" they want to veiw
the Ken Star Report.

If people or companies can setup a Linux computer or any
type of computer for that matter where all the user has
to do, is click the Blue "N" and veiw the Star Report,
then yes Linux is ready for the home user.

If you hand a CD to a typical home user and leave,
there would be much of a chance for the home user
to use Linux, the majority of them would get confused
when it comes time to split their Hard Drive up.

If the home user wants to learn about Linux, they
will.  If they want to point and click to veiw
their email, and they can do that with their system
with what every OS is already on there, then they
will "not fix what THEY don't see as broken", if it
brings up their email, then to THEM, it is not
broken, and their is little chance of them changing.

Opps, that is probably longer than it should have been.

Standard Disclaimer,

This is only my veiw, it could be wrong, you are free to
tell me other wise.  It is based out of personal experince
(or/and personal hangups) with typical users (if there is
such a thing).  This is not a flame, troll bait, or what
ever, it is how I see it, but then again there isn't much
light in this room :)

Jack