I recently was looking through the comp.os.linux.hardware newsgroup and
came across this individuals problem :

I have found a strange problem and am not sure the best way to fix.
After upgrading to Linux-Mandrake (RedHat 6.0) my Parallel Port Zip will

only allow me to insmod ppa after I have tried to print to my printer on

lp. If I try to insmod lp or insmod ppa I will get error messages :
./ppa.o : unresolved symbol paraport_release_Ra542614f
./ppa.o : unresolved symbol paraport_enumerate_Re26cc4d7
*********************
********************* continues as the same for insmod lp.
After trying to or printing to my printer all is fine *after* module lp
is present from using the printer? I then can insmod ppa. I would like
to do this on boot. Both are on the same port and cable. Not a Zip
Plus. Any thoughts would be appreciated greatly, thank you

I to am having the same problem, and if I remember right I to tried
printing to the port before doing insmod ppa. Does anyone know how to get
around this? Also what file can I add the insmod ppa line to have the ppa
module automatically start upon bootup. Once I get that working I will work
on re-compiling it into the kernel.

TIA

Shawn