I'm a linux newbie, but it would seem remiss if someone did not to mention
these two ftp commands:

At the ftp command line:

ftp> prompt

to turn off prompting.  Enter prompt again, and you will turn it back on.
If you want to copy all files, you will want it to be off.

ftp> mget yourdir/*

to copy all the files from the directory yourdir on the remote machine to
your machine.

Note that in the above example you must use the ftp cd command to change
directory to the parent directory of "yourdir."

Before you use the ftp command, you could create a "yourdir" directory on
your machine and cd to it.  After that invoke ftp and use the above ftp
commands to copy all the files.

Also - be sure to check if your ftp transfer type is ASCII or BINARY.  The
default value is frequently ASCII - but this is good only for text files as
a general rule.  The ascii or binary ftp commands cat be used to set the
transfer type.

John Baskette