Hello,

I'm a newbie to linux, though I do have some unix experience (but none with
partitioning drives).

I have a $1,000, and I'm going to buy a computer (including a monitor).  I
want a dual-boot system running linux and win98.  Win98 is required for some
other programs I have which I run on my rather old Win95 notebook.  Other
than that, I wish to use linux primarily.  Because I'm a newbie, I would
prefer to use a distribution like Caldera's OpenLinux or Mandrake.

My question is:  What should I buy?

1.)  I could buy a Win98 box, then use Caldera's linux distribution that
will repartition and install linux without trashing the Win98 partition.
(Does Mandrake do this for you?  I really am a newbie.) But I would pay the
MS tax, and risk buying hardware that is incompatible with linux.

2.)  I could by a linux box from VA research or the Linux store with Linux
preinstalled, and repartition it.  Can I repartition without losing the
contents of the drive?

Or should I get vmware for linux?

Or is there some other idea that is better than any of these?

Thank you in advance for your helpful advice.

John Baskette