On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Baskette, John wrote:

> I have a $1,000, and I'm going to buy a computer (including a monitor).  I
> want a dual-boot system running linux and win98.  Win98 is required for some
> other programs I have which I run on my rather old Win95 notebook.  Other
> than that, I wish to use linux primarily.  Because I'm a newbie, I would
> prefer to use a distribution like Caldera's OpenLinux or Mandrake.
>
> My question is:  What should I buy?

I'd get a custom-built PC with components you KNOW will
work in both Linux AND Windows. Then (if your computer
store owner knows Linux) let them install both for you. :-)

Never having used VMWare, I can't say how well it would do
for running your Win95 programs. However, I'm one of the
"old fashioned" people that believes that it's better to
use the actual O/S (or hardware) rather than emulate the
O/S or hardware! :-)

As for choice of Linux, chances are Red Hat will be more
stable, but Mandrake will be more fun and more "cutting
edge." :-) Never having used Caldera's Open Linux, I can't
say what it's like. :-)