There was a thread related to this a few days ago but I didn't follow
all of it.

When I first installed Linux, I did it from my DOS partition. I
envisioned my machine would be a dual boot machine. Here it is 7 months
later and I haven't booted into my old DOS/Win 3.1 once. The "df"
command shows....

Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda2            1248527  802598   381417     68%   /
/dev/hda1             340448  238880   101568     70%   /dosc

Is it a hard task to "steal" /dev/hda1 from DOS and now use it for
Linux? Right now I'm looking at it as 340m of wasted space.

The output of "du -c /home" shows about 160m used. Can I do the
following?....

* use fdisk to make /dev/hda1 a linux partition
* use mk2fs (or mke2fs, not sure which) to format for Linux
* copy my /home dir tree to this new partition
* change fstab from: (not sure what the number fields are for?)

/dev/hda1      /dosc       vfat     defaults  1    0

to:

/dev/hda1      /home   ext2    defaults     1     1

* boot my machine
* Write Bill a letter thanking him for the use of his software all
  these years.

What do I have wrong? In reading what I have above, I'm not sure how I
would copy /home to a new partition? Maybe I have to do all this from a
boot floppy without the file system mounted?

--
Scott Felton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]