[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<snip>

> If he cracks your filesystem you are already SOL.  He can replace your
> bootsector with one that installs Windows97 and wait for a power
> failure.  Or replace your kernel image with an evil one.

Never heard of Tripwire, eh?
Read the Sec. howto.

<snip>

> So fix the buffer overflow.  To me it doesn't make any sense to let an
> intruder into your system, and then try to make it a little harder for
> him to do obvious damage.  Keep the *** out in the first place.  :-)
> Once someone can write on your filesystem without a by-your-leave, it is
> not your system any more.
<snip>

If you install a replacement kernel image, you have to know the exact
hardware configuration in order to make it work. With a module you need
not bother with the details. also, a new kernel image will make tripwire
alarm you before the reboot which will give control to the new kernel,
while modules take effect immediately.

The problem is: Normally you detect an intruder by careful study of
syslogs and tripwire-like program output. But with the described module
attack, you can get your Trojan Horse into the system WITHOUT BEING
DETECTED, WITHOUT EVEN A CHANCE TO BE DETECTED, because you load the
module, the module hides itself from lsmod, ls /lib/modules/.. and
everything! There is no other attack that can go on for so long w/o
being regognized.

And, frankly, you are a misguided man if you think that only modules
from ftp.*.kernel.org can be loaded. Take SB live, take the crypto API
from ftp.kerneli.org, etc.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)