At 09:16 PM 10/10/99 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> If I'm not mistaking, isn't there something like that included with the
>> SlackWare 3.6 distribution?
>>
>zipslack was (is?) a umsdos-based linux, IIRC with program development
>capability, but without X.  You could click to install it, but you had
>to boot it to use it.  Everyone I know of who used it wanted to go on to
>a full linux distro as he was able, and I think most have, but it's a
>good way for some folks to start.  I haven't checked later slackware
>releases, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still kicking.

Still is, as of Slackware 4.0. The design target was to create a
distribution that would fit on a ZIP disk, hence, the distribution,
contained in a single file, unzips to 100 megs. X is not included, but I'm
not sure why ... you *can* do a simple X install in about 20 megs -- Monkey
Linux has X, for example, and it installs from 5 or 6 floppies -- but you
don't get the compilers and perl in that space, and Zipslack does include them.
Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]