ssh (secure shell) is a secure (encrypted links) version of the rsh (remote
shell) service. It can provide the same capabilites as telnet, only the link
itself is encrypted using a mix of (I think) RSA-style public/private keys
combined with a session key (similar to the way SSL works for secure Web
connections). This eliminiates the major security hole of telnet and rsh
(and non-anonymous ftp), transmission of passwords as plaintext over the
Internet.

The encryption methods used by ssh cause it to run into problems with US
export restrictions on software that the rules identify as "munitions". In
consequence, no US-based Linux distribution ships with the ssh package
included on CD (I have seen it on one beta CD I received from an offshore
provider). You have to get it from a non-US Web site, not freshmeat. If you
are using Debian, I believe that its non-US sites will provide the needed
.deb package. I don't know where to get a .rpm or a .tgz, but at least the
second can be found. I'd try a general search using your search engine of
choice.

The package includes both a server and a client; you do need the client to
connect to a server that uses ssh. I think the Windows package TerraTerm
provides a Win9x ssh client.

Two versions of ssh exist: 1.x and 2.x. Neither is Open Source, but the
license for version 1.x is considerably less restrictive than the license
for version 2.x, so most linux sites I am familiar with have stayed with
version 1.x.

I'm writing all this from memory, so I apologize if I'm gotten any important
details wrong. In any case, this should give you an overview.

At 04:03 PM 10/16/99 -0400, michael jones wrote [in part]:
>i am going to be working on a website that is being hosted
>by a service that doesn't use telnet, but will use "secure ssh"
>instead. i wasn't familiar with it and they said it is a secure
>form of telnet. does anyone use it? ...
Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]