< SNIP >
> I had this last week. The boot loader goes through a series of stages for
> each letter it prints out. 'LI', which is what I had, corresponds to the
> first and second stages of the loader being okay but it then cannot execute
> the boot program specified by lilo. In my case it was due to the fact that I
> had changed from a 1GB disk (about 800 cylinders) to a 6GB (about 13000
> cylinders!) and thus couldn't read the disk geometry. I added the 'linear'
> option to /etc/lilo.conf, reran lilo and evrything worked fine.

The drives I have been using are all less than 1.2gb, but they are
recycled from other Linux boxes.  Would LILO hang in the same
spot if an old LILO is on the drive?  ( as Lawson explained
elsewhere in this thread )

Jeffrey R. Sunseri

Systems Analyst
Department of Information Technology
Mount Aloysius College
7373 William Penn Highway
Cresson PA 16630

(814)886-6479

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.
 - Sherlock Holmes, "Scandal in Bohemia" (1892)