On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>What is the correct way to get rid of a mail that will not go out from
>my mail queue? Can I just delete the files or should I use a command to
>let sendmail delete it (or any other command)?
>
>I just don't want it to "continue to try for 5 days" to deliver it.

The reason its suck is because it cant contact the reciorient, either
he is off line or the mail address is wrong.

Yhe message comes from you sendmail.cf in /etc you can change its
default settings quite easily.

You can delete the whole message if you require, its localeted in
/var/spool/mqueue there will be 2 filles or even 3 if sendmail is
active tyring to send the mail at the time you look.

you will find a file with a "q" for queue contains the address
headsers and "d" for data contains the message itself, the "x" means
sendmail is tyring to send it at that time.

It could be that you have wrongly addressed the mail check the "q"
file for the address field, its in there 2 or maybe 3 times i cant
remember, if its correct then the host is unreachable (check also
maillog) you can eit false headers if you wish, and then sendmail
will send the mail to the correct address, or to answer your question
just delete the "d" and "q" files containging the bad mail.

A long answer for a short question, thats because i have this problem
sometimnes when badly addressing mail.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]