On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 05:10:32PM -0700, Timothy Payne wrote:
> I want to mount a NT drive on my network, I tried smbmount but get errors -
> name password etc.
what kind of errors? exact output is useful. also knowing what
version of smbmount you're running would help, since things have
changed alot between the 1.9 and 2.0 serieses
smbmount --version will show this.

anyhoo

the way I mount the shares off of our NTserver at work is:

smbmount //ntserve1/share /mnt -Umyusername -Wworkgroup -Iipaddressofserver

it then prompts me for my password and I enter it

> Can I do this in X ?

there is a program called gnomba which is part of the gnome desktop
environment thing. it's pretty darn easy to use.

you don't say what distribution of linux you're using, and your
email headers say windows, but if you reply, I can probably point
you in the direction of the packages for your system.
> How to check the login name of the Linux machine being reported to NT?
I don't quite know what you mean here.

if you mean the netbios name of your machine, -n option to smbmount should
set it.

if you mean the username the -U option to smbmount should set it.

if you don't trust smbmount, look at the event viewer on the NT machine,
the security log shows failed logons.

good luck

greg
--