Good listers,

        Your insight as to what is going wrong with my ppp connection would
be appreciated.

        Running RH 6.0 2.2.11 kernel and using kppd (from memory ver 1.6).

        When I attempt a connection the modem dials and connects ok, (I get
back connect messages in the Kppd log windows).  The 'CD'  lamp on the modem
lights but immediately after this I get a pop-up window saying the "pppd
daemon died unexpectedly".  No 'net aware' programs work (ping, netscape,
etc) but the Carrier Detect lamp is still on until I physically disconnect
the modem (ie : power the modem off)

        Looking through the kppd diagnosis 'file' I get the following
information.  "remote system required to authenticate itself but I couldn't
find any secret (password) which would let it use an IP address"

        I'm sure that information is blindingly obvious to you guru's, but
to me it's confusing.

        Who is the remote system ?.  If it is my provider, why do they need
to authenticate themselves with my computer ? how ?? (/etc/hosts.allow ?).
If it is my box that is the remote system then what am I missing ?.  I
thought that PAP authentication did not need the remote box to authenticate
itself.

        I have checked my messages file (with grep) and know that "TCP/IP"
is in my kernel and "ppp" is enabled as a module.

        The modem is external (in case that isn't clear from the above
ramblings) and has worked with Linux before (some months ago, on RH5.1,
2.0.36)

        I hope this is enough information to let you tell me how to solve my
problem.  If you need more information please ask.

        Lastly, I have composed this mail in outlook, and I think I have it
convinced to send it text only format..appoligies in advance if I'm
mistaken.

        Please reply directly to me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) as I can't pick up
my mail from anywhere else  (seeing as my 'real' box is indisposed at the
moment).

        Thanks heaps in advance..