Preble Ryan A1C 31CS/SCBBC wrote:

>         I am runnning Caldera 2.2 in dual boot setup with W98 and for some
> reason Linux runs slow compared to (dare I say) W98.  Just basic programs
> take longer than they should.
>         I have a K6-2 400, 192mb RAM, with W98 running on my Maxtor 8.4 hd
> and Caldera running on a Quantum 2.1 hd.  Is there a way I can resize my
> swap file because it is only showing 128meg swap partition?
>         I am truly a newbie to Linux, but more than willing to give up
> Windows for a superior operating system, but I need a little help doing so.
>
>         If you can offer any help with this let me know.
Your Quantum of 2GB is slower than your Maxtor of 8GB. As a rool, a
larger HDD has a smaller time of access.

But.....
You have to face the truth. Linux is slower than Windows.Everybody knows
but pretends not to see this. It is not Caldera or your machine. My
RedHat is also slow.
Just compare StarOffice. In windows it appears on screen in few
seconds.In Linux (with Afterstep,not KDE or something heavier) you can
make a coffee before you have it on screen. The same with Netscape.
The same with Wordperfect or any other civilized application.
When I start the computer I have Windows in 30sec and Linux in 60sec.
(I mean from power-on to desktop).
Maybe theese programs are made for windows and then "aranged" also for
Linux. I say so because the GIMP (which is designed from the beginning
to work on Linux) is faster than Adobe fotoshop for Windows.
Maybe Corel Linux will be better (Debian people pretend their linux is
going like a Ferrari). Maybe KOffice will work faster when and if it
will be ready. It seems they have problems with import and export files
for other systems (exactly in the point where Star and Corel are
stronger).
I also noticed that a big time is lost at "finding module dependencies".
If I compile a monolite kernel , would my computer start faster?

Linux is better for servers, for making a good name in coding and then
go working for good money Windows prgrammes, for better security(against
viruses and intruders). It is also amusing because you can modify the
scripts and make your machine work as nobody else's.

You can't find drivers for Linux made by hard manufacturers. I can not
use my scanner, I can't find a filter to print in colors, I can't use
my  radio card, but Linux is lovely.
You need same big hard ressources as for windows(RAM and HDD). I had to
buy another 32M of RAM because StarOffice was making continous swap.
The X crashes as well as windows, but instead of a blue screen you get a
black screen.
When I had only 32M of RAM the multitasking was better on Linux.
Now I have 64M and I can see no more the difference.
Usualy the games are crashing windows but you don't have the video-games
on Linux to compare...
And about licenses: Linux applications are free only for personal use.
But nobody is comming in my house to ask me the Windows licence.

I thought hundred of times to give up Linux but it is like a virus or a
drug, or like fishing or hunting. You can't live it.

Welcome to the comunity of Linux dependent people.

Cris

P.S. I am writeing this message using Netscape on Windows and with no
reason I got the famous "This program made an illegal operation an will
be closed" .Seems to be the revenge of Linux's God.