Thanks to everyone's forebearance, on and off the list, I've managed to
edit the RedHat 6.0 chat file (/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer) init string. Be-
cause there was some uncertainties, thought I'd pass along the conclusion.

Just before the ATDT dialing command, I inserted a set of AT commands
in double quotes as follows:

        'OK-+++\c-OK'   ATH0                            \
        TIMEOUT         30                              \
        OK              "AT&F1&K0"                      \
        OK              ATDT$TELEPHONE                  \

The quotations are to prevent bash from seeing the ampersands in the
command string, which otherwise would cause the string to hang.

The underlying issue is whether AT%F1 and AT&K0 help my external Robotics
56Kb modem talk to my ISP's alien modem server. One one test so far, but
it went well.

Haines Brown