On Tue, 09 Nov 1999, Ricardo Denis wrote:
>greetings,
>
>what are the names of those "two ended" devices that come in pairs and are
>used as serial pipes between applications? i think they are /dev/ptyq* and
>/dev/ttyq* but am not sure. any help is appreciated, thank you.
>
>rick

 The ones you name are correct, you can use any ttyX / ptyX  pairs.
just do;

ls /dev/ttya* (b*) etc. there are also ttya1 (2) devices as well which
are the same. I think i am correct in saying there are 256 different
pairs to be used.

ls -al  /dev/pty* | wc -l

Should show how many you have on your machine.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]