It should work on a normal system, as others have said. Although you typed
an extra / at the beginning of the path, that shouldn't matter (at least to
vi - I don't use emacs) -- paths normally ignore redundant /'s ... but try
accessing the file with the correct path (e.g., "vi /etc/fstab") just to be
sure.

Now ... let's run through the basic questions.

1. Is the file /etc/fstab present? Does "ls -l /etc/fs*" find it? (It's hard
to imagine it not being present, but let's cover ALL the possibilities.)

2. Is /etc/fstab owned by root, and is it readable? You should be able to
tell that from the output of step 1 ("man chmod" if you don't know how to
read permissions). Does "cat /etc/fstab" display it on the screen?

3. When you try to edit /etc/fstab, are you root? If you aren't, become root
and try again - the file shouldn't be readable by non-root users.

4. Exactly what do you mean by "neither program can find ...."? What message
does vi actually give you? And EXACTLY what are you typing at the command
line? (I'm asking about vi because that's what I use, and I wouldn't know
how to interpret a response based on emacs. For others on the list, you
might answer this part for emacs as well.)

5. Finally, the basics: what distribution and version of Linux are you
using? What kernel version ("uname -a")? What is your filesystem setup ("df")?

At 08:10 AM 11/9/99 -0500, Rod Upfold wrote:
>I want to edit the /etc/fstab.
>
>I have tried both Emac and Vi...but neither program can find //etc/fstab.
>Can you let me know how to go about getting to it...thanks

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]