On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, David R. Bernhardt wrote:

> This is a follow-up to my original question and how it was resolved.
>
> Another interesting item that threw me off was when I logged in and asked
> for "ls", I just got a couple of files!  I found out that I need to do a "cd
> /" to get the expected listing of files/directories.  I still need to
> configure X, but at least the basic O/S seems to be up and running.

Your home directory (assuming you logged in as root) is /root, not /, so
when you log in, you are in /root

> 0x350 is the I/O address for the driver card and I used 0 for the "clone"
> version.  I don't know all the ins and outs yet, but at least I can get
> Linux to see the contents of a CD now.  I find I have to have a CD in the
> CD-ROM when starting Linux and I cannot get the CD to come out while the O/S
> is up, but at least the system is reading the CD's now.  Progress.

you can mount and unmount the cdrom by doing :
mount /cdrom
umount /cdrom
(at least if I remember the default slackware96 setup correctly)

While the cdrom is mounted, the drive door is locked.

Frank

> So I am up and running now and this tale may be added to the collective memory
>         ;-)
> Dave Bernhardt
> Boring, OR

HI! I'm a .signature virus! cp me into your .signature file to help me spread!