You need to tell us a bit more if we are to help.

First, please sort out an apparent inconsistency. You say you are "trying to
install linux ... without benefit of cdrom", but then talk about "attempting
to access the cd". Just how are you trying to install Linux?

Second, please give us some details. What Linux distribution, what version,
and what are you using in the way of a bootdisk to do the install? At what
point in the install process do you get the 'fs type iso9660 not supported
by kernel' message? How are you trying to mount the CD?

Third, laptops sometimes have quirks. What laptop are you using?

At 05:15 PM 11/17/99 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote [in part]:
>I am trying to install linux on an old 486 laptop, without benefit of
>cdrom, ethernet, or dial up ISP.
>       I was attempting to access the cd I installed this system off of, and
>keep getting a 'fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel' How is this
>possible if this is the exact media I installed the system off of????

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]