> > Well, the compilation doesn't really stop, since there's continuous
> > disk activity. But even if I leave the machine run for hours, there
> > seems to be no change. My guess is that a big file is being
> > compiled, which takes up all the available memory. So Linux
> > resorts to disk swapping, which is awfully slow.
>
> Are you sure you have a swap partition, and if you have is it turned on. ???
> The symtoms you describe say you do not have an "active swap partition".

During startup, Linux displays several messages saying things like
"activating swap space, ...".

> To see if there is a "valid" swap partition do;
> free

I issued a free command before starting the compilation. Only 4
pages (is this the correct unit?) of the swap space were used. I
killed several processes to get more memory. I had about 6000 free
pages before I started the make. Then I switched to another
console while the compilation was taking place, and I issued
several free commands. The swap space usage increased as the
process took place. One and half hours after the compilation
started, the memory usage is as follows:

Memory: Total: 14660, Used: 14436, Free: 224
Swap: Total: 34236, Used: 32812, Free: 1424

Should I leave the machine work for hours? Does any anybody
have an idea of how long the process will take? Any suggestions?

Jeremías Galletti