On Tue, 21 Dec 1999,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote about,  Thinking about
Linux, second try:
> Hi All;
> I am thinking to install Linux Red Hat 6.1 on my machine.
> Up to now I mostly used OS/2, NT partition below will disappear as soon as I
> feel
> comfortable enough with Linux.
>
> Here is how my hard drive in partitioned, and depending on the answer to my
> question I
> am open to changing it as necessary.

> Partition Information for Disk 1:    13037.1  Starting  Ending
> Volume         PartType    Status    Size MB  Cyl.           Cyl.
> *:MAINTAIN     Hid.FAT16B  Pri         156.9  0         9
>                Boot ManagerPri,Boot      7.8  20        20
> C:NO NAME      FAT16B      Pri        1004.1  21        148
>                Extended    Pri       11868.3
>                EPBR        Log        2000.3
> D:NT_APPS      FAT16B      Log,Boot   2000.3  149       403
>                EPBR        Log        1506.1
> E:OS2_SYS      HPFS        Log,Boot   1506.1  404       595
>                EPBR        Log        2000.3
> F:OS2_APPS     HPFS        Log,Boot   2000.3  595       850
>                EPBR        Log        6361.7
> G:             Linux-tobe  Log,Boot   6361.6  851       1661
>

> Partition G is where I would like to install Linux.  But, using Partition magic,
>  when
> I tried to format that partition it only gave me the EXT2 option, no Linux Swap
> option
> was given.  This partition starts at cylinder 851 and ends at 1661.  Could this
> may be
> the reason PM does not give Linux swap option?  If so, I can take some space
> from the
> end of partition F.  I have 192 MB of RAM on this machine.  What should be the
> size of
> Linux Swap Partition(s)?  I also would like some suggestion of how to slice up
> the G.
> Specifically, since Linux will not boot from cylinders beyond 1024, what size
> should
> the /boot partition be?  Can it be part of partition G, that is not have its own
> partition?

You can simply use the bootdisks supplied with all linux distro's, boot
from most recent cdrom distro's, and simply use Linux fdisk to repartition
your G drive.
You know where the partition starts and ends so you are half way there,
you can split up the partition (possably making an exteded partition first)
into smaller pieces, you can just define 2, one big partition for linux and
one of 64m for swap, i say 64m, i find that a lot, however its half of your
actual memory, making that the same as mine, i have never run out of memory
just by having a swapsize half of hard memory.
You can get more partitioning info from the distribution source, simply
load it under os_2 and read the readme and install files.

All your distro can go on G after you have used Linux-fdisk or which ever
program the distro includes.

The only thing you will have to do is make sure the root filesystem is
loacted compltly within the 1023 cyls boundry.
Or you will have to use a floppy to boot, which in itself not such a bad
idea to start with, untill you get used to what you are doing and learn
more about HOWTO use and understand linux.
That should not be so hard if you have used os2and1half.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]