At 08:46 PM 12/22/99 +0000, Richard Adams wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Dec 1999,  Simon Taplin wrote about,  Gnome Question:
>> 'I'm using a 14inch monitor and Gnome is really annoying in that
>> the minimise, close, etc buttons similar to window are just to big
>> for the screen and so they are on the next screen, is there anyway
>> to convince Gnome that I am using a 14inch monitor instead of a
>> 15inch monitor?
>
>Yes, configure X properly.

I think this doesn't deal with the problem that Simon is trying to ask
about. Correct me if I'm wrong, Simon, but I think you are suffering from
the fact that Gnome uses icons that are a fixed size in pixels, and the
default size is very large when displayed at, say, 640*420 on a 14" monitor.
One workaround is to use a finer display resolution, say 1024*768, but that
has the cost that other things (e.g. Netscape) will display very small.

What you want is a way to change the default pixel size of the icons. I
think there is one, but I don't know what it is ... perhaps someone else knows?

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]