if you screen is too big for you monitor then that's probably
not a gnome issue.  You may need to run
Xconfigurator or edit your xconfig file and make sure your
monitor type and video card types are correct.

trying running X without gnome to see if you still have the
problem

Kervin Pierre.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Time-honored truth #5