On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Sergio (Serge) Rey wrote:

> I notice a difference in disk utilization between running at the console
> and running under Gnome. Under the console the disk light comes on about
> once every 2 minutes or so, while under Gnome, this happens more
> frequently say every 5-15 seconds. I don't notice any performance slowdown
> running apps under Gnome, but I'm wondering if this increased disk
> utilization is something that I should fix (i.e., is it a problem) or is
> it normal?

If you aren't noticing any performance slowdown then it almost definately
doesn't matter.  The disk activity is probably caused by bdflush/update
syncing your disks - this causes disk activity only if there is actually
anything that needs syncing.

--
Mike Ricketts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.
                -- Yogi Berra in his rookie season.