> Hola Jeremias :-)

¿Cómo estás, Daniel?

> You mean that you've done it with procmail, don't
> you?  And you fetch your incoming mail from POP3
> with fetchmail.  Am I wrong?

No, not yet. I'm planning to implement this, though. I still have to fix
my system. I can't compile anything without editing the Makefile.
The compiler can't find the necessary include files ...

> There is another email "folder" that is really a
> folder: the maildir format.  In maildir format you
> have a folder that is really a folder (directory)
> where the email messages are stored in separated
> files.

Are these in MH format? I've installed Postilion, which Scott Felton
recommended me as a replacement for Pegasus, and I like it. It
can handle mbox (Unix mailboxes) and MH, which I don't know
what it is.

> As far as I know, procmail lets you classify messages
> in email "folders" (really files) that are in
> mailbox format.  I use procmail and this is the way
> I use it.

Where should I put these files? Into some directory in the ~/
hierarchy? What is the standard way?

> If you are an email maniac addicted to mailing lists,
> like me, the you will love Mutt.  It isn't easy, but
> it's the most powerful and configurable MUA you can
> obtain.

It is too complicated. Besides, I sometimes get HTML messages.
Can Mutt handle them?

> But now you are used to GUI-based email programs.
> I've read an article about Linux programs for
> Windoze users
> (http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/currents/008.html).
> When it talks about MUAs, it recommends the one that
> comes with StarOffice.  It's very similar to
> Micro$oft Outlook.  I've never tried it.

I've never used the StarOffice mail client, but all the other programs
in this package are very slow and resource-hungry. After all, they
are a clone of M$ Office! ... :-)

> > But maybe in Linux there's no need for an advanced mail reader
> > because all the mail filtering could be implemented with procmail,
> > am I right?
>
> Yep.  But some MUAs can download the incoming mail
> via POP3.  If you download the message with those
> MUAs instead of fetchmail, then, probably, your
> messages won't be stored in /var/spool/mail/* and
> they won't be procmail'ed :-(  This is what happens,
> for example, with Netscape Messenger.
>
> If these MUAs use mailbox format, you can fetch your
> incoming mail with fetchmail, filter it with
> procmail, and store it in the folders of the MUAs.

Postilion can handle POP3. But I'm not going to use to download
my mail. I'm going to use fetchmail for that.

fetchmail, procmail and the MUA handle the mail reading. But what
about sending? I need a MTA, right? The Mail-HOWTO
recommends qmail for home use, which of course I don't have. I
have sendmail. Which one do you recommend me? Sendmail
seems very complicated to configure. man sendmail is way over
my head!

> > How should a big mail archive with messages
> > classified into folders (or, in Linux language,
> > directories) be implemented?
>
> I've done it but now I don't remember.  Try
>
>       $ man formail

Oh! I forgot about this tip you gave. I still have to come and read
my mail under Windows (Pegasus used to run with Wine, but my
Linux box is in a coma right now and won't do many things) and
then reboot! I guess I could export this to a plain ASCII message,
but that would make things too easy! It wouldn't be the Linux way
... :-)

> You will need to pipe (|) the file that store the
> messages thru formail.  Something like
>
>       $ cat the_file_that_store_the_messages | formail ...
>
> If you still have problems filtering your messages,
> there is also a very good "filtering FAQ" about how
> to use procmail.  It is at ftp://rtfm.mit.edu .  I
> don't remember the subdir, perhaps
> /pub/usenet-by-group/mail.misc/ .

I'll look for it.

> Hasta luego.  Salu2 desde España ;-)