Accessing cable-modem systems is tricky -- as with ppp dialups, they vary a
lot in details of hookup. Some can be a real challenge, while others are a
piece of cake.

If your problem is just DHCP, you need to install and run a package usually
called dhcpcd (for DHCP Client Daemon). There's an .rpm for Red Hat and its
ilk, and a .deb for Debian.

Or your problem may be with the physical hookup. For a Masq'd (not masked;
the term is short for Masqueraded) LAN, you want a setup roughly like the
following (addresses are illustrative):

                   Linux router
   HUB    <--->     eth1    eth0      <--->  cable modem  <---> GATEWAY
192.168.1.0    192.168.1.1  10.1.1.23                          10.1.1.1
 NT Client                                                    Internet
192.168.1.10

You get the real eth0 address from the cable-modem ISP (probably via DHCP),
and the gateway may come as part of the DHCP lease or separately from the ISP.

Finally, SOME cable-modem boxes note the MAC (Ethernet) address of the NIC
that they connect to. IF yours is like this, it won't work with the Linux
host if it expects the NT host. Fixing this can be as easy as unpowering,
then restarting the cable modem, or it can require a call to your provider.
Just depends.

If just installing dhcpcd solves your problem, that's terrific. If not,
write again, with as much detail as you can provide.

At 06:05 PM 1/24/00 -0700, Gary Patton wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I hope someone can point me in the right direction (faqs, man pages, links,
>etc).  I currently have an NT box on a home cable modem.  I would like to
>add the linux system I just built to the lan, as well.  I have the hub
>installed, but the problem is my cable modem uses DHCP to connect.  I would
>like to use IP masking, but my linux box does not seem to want to pick up
>DHCP when I ran the setup.  I am not sure how to set this up where both can
>access at the same time.

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]