On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 10:38:13AM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> I did something stupid last night, I pressed ctrl-alt-F2 and totally
> locked up the machine. Actually it may not have been locked up,
> but I was locked out. The monitor went blank and the keyboard
> dead.  Even the caps lock led was dead ! The only way I could
> recover was a hardware reset. Why did I do it? I mis-remembered
> something I'd read about switching from X to console.

        That should have put you on Console 2.  You should have had
a login prompt there.  Don't know why you would have just died.  From
there <Alt><Fn> or <Cntrl><Alt><Fn> should take you to the various
virtual consoles with F1 being the first console.  One of them (typically
F7 if you have 6 virtual consoles set up) should dump you back in X.

> The question? Is there a list of commands that should never be
> issued by uninformed newbies?

        Things like...

        rm -rf /

        :-)

> TIA,
> Mike

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/