Thanks to those of you that replied. I tried to reproduce the problem
and failed. The system switched between X and various consoles
and back to X with no problems. Last night it locked up so
completely that not even the caps lock led on the  keyboard would
respond to the caps lock key. I'll just have to see if it happens
again.

For those who asked, I'm running RH 6.1 kernel 2.2.12-20 on a
Cyrix MediaGX P-133 with 48MB ram. It is a dual boot with win95
on hda1,hda5 and linux on hda3. There is a 70MB linux swap on
hda4. Video is the onboard MediaGX. I did have memory timing
problems when I first started running win95, but since changing the
bios settings it has been relatively stable.

Mike