I've added linux-newbie back to this exchange; these queries really belong
on the list, not private.

Once again, you don't give us much to work with, so all I really can do is
guess. See if I have the next part right.

1. You send outgoing mail via SMTP to a smarthost relay run by your ISP.

2. You receive e-mail via POP3 or IMAP (probably using fetchmail on Linux),
again from a host at your ISP.

3. Your DNS is also provided by your ISP, anf you have its nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf .

These three things share one common feature: they all require access ONLY to
your ISP's internal network. Web access, however, requires you to be able to
connect to sites outside your ISP's internal network. Based on that, I'll
guess that you don't have your ISP's default route (gateway) in your routing
table.

I assume the ISP gave you the IP address of its default gateway. (If not, it
might be coming in as part of a dhcp lease.) Check your routing table with
"route -n" and see if it is included. If not, add it with the line

        route add default -gw 1.2.3.4 metric 1

replacing 1.2.3.4 with the actual IP address.

If I've guessed wrong ... sorry. Chris, I'm sure it seems tiresome to have
to include your setup information every time you post, but please consider
it from my (and probably Richard's) perspective. I reply to a lot of
questions (on this list and others), and all the setups blur in my mind. If
you don't remind me of your specifics, I can't pick them out from the dozen
or so other sets of specifics I've read in the past few days.

At 01:27 PM 1/25/00 -0500, Chris Job wrote:
>hanks guys!!
>I got my email working again!!  If only I could figure out web I can not
>surf the web I'll be okay.... When I enter a URL I comes back with the
>message: no response server could be down. Try later.
>Any idea on how I should proceed?

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]