You have a general classpath problem...  It can't find the
java.lang.Thread class, which is the first class loaded by the JVM.

In JDK 1.1, -classpath commandline option will supercede any classpath
defined in the environment and also the default one for its own runtime
classes.

If you have the jre, you specify
/usr/bin/jre -cp . BurnIT
where -cp appends to the other classpaths...

And if you don't, you need to find the location of classes.zip or rt.jar
(I am not sure what IBM call it, probably the former).
And the specify

/usr/bin/java -classpath .:<classes.zip_directory>/classes.zip BurnIT

Niclas