On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 03:18:33PM +0100, James (Jim) Hatridge wrote:
> Hi all!,
>
> Paint me dumb but I can't figure out which ioport my network card is on.
> When it probes for my ethercard at 0x0300 it does not find it. Ioports
> does not show 0300, which one should I be using? Thanks! BTW, I'm using
> SuSE 5.2 and my system has two printer ports.

Did you try Ray's suggestion from the last time you asked this question?

/proc/ioports list ioports that drivers in the kernel have _already_
requested. ioports doesn't show 0300 or 0x0300 (signifcantly different
things. 0300 is Octal or 1536 in decimal and 0x0300 is hex - 12,288)

anyway 0x0300 is just the default io location that ethernet drivers
look for cards at. The ISA bus isn't that great, and if you don't tell
it where to find it, it won't look, because touching cards that you don't
know about is a good way to lock the system.

anyway, My general approch is to try everything, and you will find it
eventually.

i would do
modprobe (whatever module your using) io=0x0320
then try 0x0340 0x0360 0x0380 0x03a0

If it's not on one of those, I would ask the person I got it from, or
look on the manufacturers web site to see if I could get a disk to
configure the io ports ( usually the manufacturers disks can find the
cards ). Or look for jumpers if it's old enough

have fun

greg
--
this is not here