Well, there is probably a short answer to your question, but it really
depends.

My Philosophy is to not back-up the things you can recover from an raw
install. So what that means is to archive regularly your downloaded files
(e.g. stick rpm's and tar.gz's on some removable media).

Then keep track of config files you have modified, and back those up
regularly (I'll come back to that). Last, back-up /home (your work
files).

Now your config files. What I do is stuff all of my configuration files
into a dir called /root/etc. Then I make a symbolic link from where those
files are suppose to be to their location in the /root/etc directory. For
example I move XF86Config from /etc to /root/etc. Then I make a symbolic
link (ln -s /root/etc/XF86Config /etc/XF86Config).

Now all of my modified config files reside in 1 dir, and I just tar that
dir. That may seem tedieous, but generally you aren't editing many config
files at a time, so doing this the first time you edit a config file is
not a big deal.

Don't forget to create a backup of the config file before you edit it
too.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:29:28 -0600 Arnie Metz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>After some recent <self-induced> disasters, you know when you hit
>yourself
>with a brick, I think its time to get serious about backing up a few
>files.
>Question is: which ones and where are they kept.
>Aside from an automated boot floppy what files should I be concerned
>about.
>Barring a physical disk crash I can't see needing everything.
>
>Being an Win95 convert I got comfortable having a program called
>FirstAid.
>It took a snapshot of the essential config (and similar) files every
>time 95
>shutdown.
>Seems to me I should be able to write a reasonably simple script that
>would
>do this.
>Conceptually:
>
>script_name:
>startx
>tar a few specific files to a directory
>#end of script, return user to the prompt
>
>Kind of crude, but after a disaster one could merely grab some backup
>files
>and put yourself back where you where before you broke it.
>
>For that matter couldn't I write a script that would replace the
>corrupted
>files with the backups?
>
>Trouble is I have no idea how to even start writing a script.
>Moreover; as I
>asked before which files do I need to worry about and where are they.
>
>I'll bet a dollar to a stale donut that I'm not the first to ever
>think of
>this. Anybody have a prexsisting/working model you'd care to share.
>
>Thanks to all who take the time to even read this.
>
>Arnie
>

>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>linux-kernel" in
>the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

R. Haehnel