We need to speed up the installation of Linux systems. We must be able
to handle at least 100 systems in a day using just a couple of
employees.

Since the dd command between two 9GB drives takes far too long (6-10
hours on the machines in question), I am now investigating alternatives.

General idea.

1. Boot Linux from a floppy.
2. Change to a second floppy, containing the programs and Script to
do...
3. Partitioning.
4. Create the Kernel on the new partitions.
5. Make the HD bootable.
6.  Copy second stage install to HD.
7.  Disconnect floppy and Reboot.
8.  Download and Install a set of RPMs
9.  Download, configure, compile and install some source packages.

>From all your accumulated experience, does anyone see any potential
problems with this?
The hardware is very well known, basics, and won't change often (except
HD model). Should we instead copy the content of a reference computer
over the net, replicating the whole directory structure, or what??

Especially step 3-5, how is this done (excuse me for relying on RedHat
distribution before)?

Thanks a lot...

Niclas

P.S  I am even to prepare a handsome amount of money for a complete
solution.