* Pavel Musil ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have this silly problem - every time I log in (RedHat 6.1) a random
> quotation is displayed. Does anybody know from what file are these messages
> read and how can I configure their display.
> Thanks a lot
>
> Pavel Musil
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Probably in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script. It runs commands like
fortune, and sends their output to /etc/issue.

Don't edit /etc/issue itself, as it is written at boot.

My rc.local contains lines like:

    /usr/games/fortune > /etc/issue

    echo "" >> /etc/issue
    echo "$R" >> /etc/issue
    echo "Kernel $(uname -r) on $a $(uname -m)" >> /etc/issue

    cp -f /etc/issue /etc/issue.net
    echo >> /etc/issue

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |