1. For info on the HP550C and Linux, go to the printer database at
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi . That site lists th
"Deskjet 550C" in the "works perfectly" category. A quick look at the site
should give you the setup details, which I didn't take the time to check.

2. I'm sorry too, but if you don't tell us the error message, we can't guess
what it was. That sort of limits our ability to help with the printtool part
of your question.

3. I don't run KDE so can't help you with that part of your question.