Yesterday I did what you suggested, but I found nothing to worry about. The
memory is used for about 90% (running the gnome desktop, no custom apps
running but a terminal) and swapfile is hardly used at all. CPU is more than
90% idle. I now have an applet running in gnome where I can check memory,
swapfile and cpu usage in real time. I noticed that when I start linuxconf
in gnome and I want to select any sub menu (eg acces local drives, ...) CPU
usage goes to 100% for little over 8 seconds while nothing happens on
screen. After that the page is displayed and CPU usage drops back to 10%.
Is it possible I have too much installed on hda2? That partition is used for
88%. I also noticed that my swap partition is not 100Mb, but only 50Mb.
Maybe that's not enough (even though it is hardly used at all)? I have the
KDE desktop and the gnome desktop installed together because I want to see
wich one I like best. When I log on in in RedHat I can choose wich desktop I
want. Maybe I should just install KDE? Or is there an other desktop
environment that uses less resources?

Peter